Breaking down is scary. And it’s scary dangerous. Follow these guidelines to stay safe in a roadside emergency.
- When you break down, get your car off the road. Move to the side of the road, emergency lane or shoulder. The goal is staying as far away from traffic as possible.
- If you’ve been in an accident, don’t move your vehicle until the police arrive.
- Get the vehicle to a safe place before getting out .If you are unable to get your car to a safe area, move away from your car.
- Never stand behind or directly in front of your vehicle.
- Never leave children or pets in an unattended car in warm weather (even if windows are cracked).